Sunday, April 10, 2011

In Praise Of The Crazy Rabbit

It's actually been a fairly productive day so far. I worked for 3 hours, blogged, polished my toenails, and then logged out to go get a sandwich because I'd been craving a ham and turkey sub from Subway for awhile. I just finished eating and am going to log back in in a few. But I thought that maybe I should focus on some of the things that I have to congratulate myself for, rather than my multitude of failings. It's been far too long since I did that, and I think it'll help me feel better.

1.) I am med-compliant.

I am not one of those "Oh, I don't need my meds anymore" assholes. I scare myself enough *with* meds sometimes. I can only imagine how bad I'd be *without* them. Supposedly, people with bipolar are notorious for not being med-compliant. I am not--and will never be--one of those people.

2.) I went to therapy.

Yes, it was just one visit, but it was a step in the right direction. I also liked this therapist enough to make an appointment to go back and to try some of her suggestions in my life. Ok, I had a crisis immediately thereafter, but the two things aren't related. Now that I'm on less shaky ground, I'm going back to trying to do what she suggested.

3.) I am trying to make work a bigger priority.

With work comes money. With money comes fewer worries. This is kind of important. I've already made a lot more in the past 3 1/2 months than I'd made this time last year. The fact that I'm getting paid on time and correctly now helps a lot, too.

4.) I am cleaning up some of the messes I've made.

Figuratively speaking. Literally, my house is still an enormous mess. But, for example, I now owe $80 to my credit card companies instead of the $13,000 I owed last month. (The $80 is just part of the interest they're going to charge me for next month, but I'm going to pay all that off, too, and be done with it.) Yes, I still have to pay the loan back, but the payments are cheaper, and I'll have it paid off in full in 5 years.

5.) I am still alive.

This probably the most important of all. Despite the many times I wanted to let the world go on without me, I saw it through to the other side, and I'm still here.

6.) I am still planning on righting some other wrongs.

Taking responsibility. I'm doin' it.

No comments:

Post a Comment