Monday, February 18, 2013

Swinging In For A Moment

I made a peach cobbler today because I am awesome.



This was the recipe I used: Easy Peach Cobbler. I used a much bigger can of peaches (25 oz.), though, and drained off half the syrup. I put some vanilla in the batter, too. Now I'm just waiting for the thing to cool enough for me to eat it.


In other news, my great-uncle died today. He'd been sick for awhile with lung cancer that had metastasized. We weren't really close, but I'm sorry for his wife (my mother's aunt) and his family. And because I'm not completely rotten to the core, I'm going to go down there Wednesday to go to the funeral home with them. Then, I'll most likely stay at my mama's house and go to the funeral on Thursday.

I guess the only good thing about it is that it kinda brought their little family back together again. Their daughter was estranged from them because she married someone they didn't approve of. (I thought that was kinda terrible, personally, but nobody asked me.) Anyway, my mama let their daughter (who's, what, my second cousin?) know that he was sick back in, I think, August. (Our part of the family was never estranged from her, FYI. It was just her mother and father who more or less disowned her.) She wanted to come and see her daddy, so she called her mama and asked if she could come. I was glad that they let her come.

Anyway, she asked my mother to please go with her because she was pretty nervous, and Mother did. I think a lot of shit got patched up, some 30-odd years later, and she got to spend several months with her daddy before he died. I was very happy that happened because I think the whole deal was extremely sad to begin with. And now, at least, my great-aunt has her daughter to be there for her now, and vice-versa.


Ok, going to get some of that damn pie now. I hope it's good.

Edit: It's really, really good, even if I did make it. I highly recommend that there recipe, with my minor alterations.

No comments:

Post a Comment